Friday, July 11, 2008

The Fourth

Our fourth weekend was filled with lots of activity. Some of it all-american and some not. Let's talk about the biggest one in Mike's mind...grilling.

The Fourth
Since we aren't allowed to use our grill at our current apartment we were going to go buy some charcoal to use at the grills out complex provides. However, the forecast for the weekend was thunderstorms from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. So we backed out on that and decided to play the weekend by ear. Specifically on the 4th Mike was chomping at the bit to get a burger, so after a few hours by the pool we headed to Five Guys. I love their burgers (fried onions!) but was disappointed not to have my usual tomato because of the salmonella scare. Boo! Friday night friends came to our place and we all headed to a penthouse party - ooooooooo! It of course was decorated red, white and blue and I was happy as a clam to fit in with my decked out outfit of red white and blue right down to the patent leather red shoes Beth convinced me to wear. (My sister would be proud.)

The party was great. The rain held off for the DC fireworks to go off - we still missed them though - and for us to get to hang out at the roof at the party. It really was a nice night. Lots of faces I haven't seen in a while. And the sap in me was thrilled when the hosting couple played the proposal song that the groom-to-be proposed with.

The rest of the weekend...
It was nice just to relax and do whatever we wanted. Mike had to go into school to do some Law Review work and pick the incoming class. (Woo hoo invites went out finally!) Pete, Beth and I just hung. I introduced Pete and Beth to the wonderful movie "Step Up," we grabbed some lunch and then headed to the bay once Mike was done with school stuff. That by far was my favorite part of the weekend. We camped out on Pete's family's property in Chesapeake Beach, MD. I was beyond excited to use our tent for the first time. We were probably a sight to see setting it up for the first time. Proud to say - no fights erupted! : ) I love any shoreline of any kind. I especially love this place because you can be an archaeologist for the day. The surf line is filled with sharks teeth. I could probably spend hours searching. I only got an hour this weekend but it was enough for me to add to my collection and fill content. And of course I got my obligatory crab cake and bug bites. Not as many as Beth... And I was the winner at Clue and Mike taught us how to play euchre. We even played on the same team and there wasn't any screaming - it was a break through : ) Sunday was lazy-ish. Minor productivity in the laundry department and going out to eat for BW's birthday. Woo hoo - eating Mexican with Mike twice in 4 days. mmmmmmmmmm. Not really all-american but the rest of the weekend made up for it. Did I mention we drove to our camping adventure in an Explorer, Ford Explorer?


I heart the USA
Kirsten, Stock & Cheeks

Kirsten (she's popular), Beth and me
Mike and Pete. This was as open as I could get Mike's eyes. grr.
The proposal song prep.
I think he was a little hesitant.
Does anyone else think I look a LOT like my sister in this pic?


She tried to hide.

Not the best pic of me but I wanted to show how close to the bay we were.
Proof that we did it.


Mike's putting the finishing touches on our tent. And that's the family lake house in the back.



This house is truly a treasure. I love how Pete's grandpa collected and saved everything...



..and how he used whatever he had around. Like this band-aid to label the refrigerator on the circuit breaker.



...and how he reused jars for holding nuts, bolts, nails, etc.



BW on his bday @ Rio Grande. Learning what sopapillas are and what its like being old.



bday boy and Dara, his woman

Jeff and Kirsten

Squinty Mike and no-volume Me

1 comment:

Courtny said...

dear miss photoshop,
just because you look drunk doesnt mean that you look like me!

xoxo,
hermana